BHINDI -ALU FRY



This is for my Vege -vegan friends ( by default it is for carnivores also) . I am continuously cooking but not much worth publishing. A vacation in kitchen,  is worth million $ and I am earning it!!! 
Not much preamble today because my dentist is waiting in ambush to extract the healthy teeth,  by mistake first , then apologize and then extract the ailing ones....in the bargain he earns faster and I gain,  because sooner or later I will spend it per tooth extracted into all teeth. May be it is good...with inflation at 8% , I gain , by spending for future,today..


THE RECIPE 

Well this is a time proven recipe , Bhindi -alu fry ...nothing great about it ...I will just give one of the many variation I use ..a sour tinge and absence of strong spices ( other than used in tempering ) .
 INGREDIENTS 
* Bhindi ( DhyaDoNs in Bong) , Ladies finger, Okra etc 250 gms 
* Potato 1 medium ( about 75 gms) 
*  green chili 4 -6 
* am chur 11/2 tsp ( dry mango powder , anar powder, lemon juice ) optional 
*red chili powder extra hot ( optional) 
*Oil 2-3 tbsp
* Popy seeds 2 tsp ( optional) 
*turmeric 1 tsp 
Salt 
Hing, ( asafoetida)  ( 30% powdered), 1/2 tsp
*for tempering ...panch  phodon , 1 tsp  (if you dont have it , use 1/2 tsp each of fennel and methi ( fenugreek). Dry red chili 2  

PROCESS
Wash and cut the bhindi to 1 inch pieces 
Cut potato to 5 mm thick,  half moon 
Heat oil to smoking and cool slightly 
add the tempering and  add the potatoes and fry to off color 
add Hing, ( asafoetida), poppy seeds and immediately followed by the bhindi..
All ingredients added 

Add turmaric and fry
Add salt when the volume shrinks 
Cover for 5 minutes and cook at slow heat.
Uncover and Stir fry at high heat till the oil comes out.
Add red chili powder ; amchur or any other  souring agent, stir fry for 1 minutes .
Switch off heat 
Eat with rice , Paratha or puri ( as u know, I dislike roti )


Comments